Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Today is significant, food-wise.

     I will tell you why.  First things first, I'm roasting beets.  Not significant, you say?  Well, it is when you've never worked with fresh beets before.  Not sure why, just never have.  So I'm slightly excited, even with my hands hopelessly dyed red.
     I will tell you another reason that today is special (culinarily speaking.  Otherwise today is blah).  Let me ask you this: have you ever had a certain food or ingredient within a certain food that you can't quite identify, but wind up craving at random intervals that can last days?  Have you ever, then, stumbled across this food right at your fingertips, right at the perfect moment, without warning? You see, there's this root vegetable.  I've had it in Trader Joe's Root Vegetable Chips, in tempura, and I'm sure elsewhere.  I never gave it much thought, always forgetting to look further into identifying it.  It's a funny, speckly, potato-like thing, but with a slightly more complex flavor.  I assumed it was just one of those root vegetables I always hear and read about, but have never bought.  I've been thinking about it for days. 
     The other day at H-mart (see last post), I bought a purple yam out of curiosity.  Today I cut it up to roast with the beets.  Imagine my delight when I find that the inside contains that same (I THINK) speckly flesh that's been on my mind.  I always pictured the inside of purple yams to be a more solid purple, but nope- it looks just like my beloved mystery tuber. Guardian [food] Angel? 
     I'll letcha know how it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment